Ernie Young opened the first shop in 1946 at 16 years of age with the aid of ‘two tenner’s loaned by his dad. He bought an existing bike shop at 248a Lee High Road, Lewisham which was a short distance away from what was to become their main site for many years at 290 Lee High Road. There were also branches in Sydenham and Greenwich, all specializing in lightweight racing bike frames, run by Ernie’s brothers George and Ray.
Back in the 80s, after the Sydenham and Greenwich branches closed down, Youngs took over the bike shop in Coney Hall, which was run by Harry Roland (Harry O) who was renowned for his wheel building skills. Lee High Road was left to Ernie’s son but sold off in the 1990s. Ray Young ran the shop in West Wickham until 2004 and the shop is now run by Martyn Green, still trading as Youngs Cycles. Ray still builds and rebuilds wheels for us. Martyn now specializes in the restoration of cult bike, the Raleigh Chopper. Martyn is passionate about Raleigh Choppers and this can be seen in the quality of his restoration work. He also offers a servicing, repair and maintenance service for all bikes, as well as selling accessories. Youngs Cycles are also authorized agents for Raleigh and Ridgeback bikes.